None of my domains have expired yet, but the guy who was handling my domain names has changed the glue records to point back to the 1and1 “available” page for the .com, .net and .org domains. The .com and .net expire April 16 (a few days in the future as I write this) and the .org expires in July (a couple of MONTHS in the future as I write this).
Hmm, doesn’t sound like very ethical behaviour to me. Who knows when the .ca will disappear?
I’ve opened a case with the Better Business Bureau, for now, and I’m keeping my options open.
The case continues … unfortunately.
There have been a few more exchanges, some less friendly and some more friendly, but each of us is keeping our position: he says I owe him $120 (ish) and I say I don’t.
He has made the domains available for me to take. But he won’t issue a credit for the invoice.
So I’m not taking the domains. I’ve already got another domain name. I got it when we were arguing back and forth and it wasn’t clear to me that I was going to get linuxbutler back before they either expire or in time for the NCF static address change.
I’ve had various bits of advice from different people, ranging from “just take the domain back, you can get the registrars to give it to you” to “report the guy to the police, he stole your domain” to “make a web page about your experience” to “go to small claims court”. He has made the domains available, so that eliminates the “police report” approach.
I’m not really keen on taking the domains back, as that gives him grounds to expect me to pay the invoice.
Anyway, my last email to him was “don’t do anything that will cause you to invoice me”. He wrote back and said that concludes our communications. So I guess he won’t be willing to change my IP address, although the address will change before the domain name expires, and he did do the same kind of change last time it happened. Without charge. I would expect a domain name handler to do that. But, I’m just glad to be out of the business relationship.
It seems my domain name reseller also works on the weekend. He sent me an email saying I haven’t paid last year’s invoice. So I sent him an email with the details of payment. and pointing out that now he owes me money (because of a credit note that was issued on my account).
Of course the amount of the credit note does not cover his full “exit fee” charge … so we’ll see what he does now. I offered to forget the credit if he signs over the domain names.
And I pointed out that transferring the domains is a one-step process, why did he say he had “staged” the transfer for one of the domains? What does that mean? In fact, since I got the domain history from namespro, I know it means he moved the domain name from steveg * emoss-ca account to steve * emoss-ca (earlier this week). What’s the point???
The saga continues.
03/26: namespro = awesome
I asked namespro for a history of my domain name, and they responded within 1 hour on a Saturday. Wow.
03/26: domain name: next step
I’ve replied to the reseller saying:
His invoice copies did not match his statement (that he attached on his email to me) and I have no amount overdue (according to him in an email last year after my payment).
He should not make me pay for putting my name back on the domains, when the domains had my name on them when I started using his service.
I got the domains in 2004, and started using his service in 2005.
We’ll see what his response is.
Last year about this time I mentioned to the company that currently renews my domain names that I wanted to do the renewing myself before the year was up. We agreed that he would put the domains in my name (the admin contact etc) in October. October came and went, and eventually it became March. I emailed and asked about the progress on this.
He wrote me back and said that I owe some money and he would also be charging me $125 (ish) for 1 1/4 hours of his time to put it back in my name.
First off, I got the domains myself, and asked that company to pay the renewal bills and bill me back. There was never any need for him to put his name on my domains — he certainly didn’t call attention to himself by charging me for that “service”. But now, a month before some of them expire, he’s hitting me with the news that suddenly I have to pay an “exit fee”. No warning about it last year, no warning in October. Just a fee one month before the names expire.
The other money he claims I owe — about $30.00 — I haven’t researched that yet. I expect it will turn out I don’t owe anything, but I’m willing to do the research before I deny the charge.
I’m not happy.
Anyway, I’m “contemplating my options”. One of which is to let the names expire and get new ones. There are other options, and I’m considering all of them.